Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Calligraphy Class

Students split up into groups, and each group was able to experience few of the classes offered at Technos College. My group went into a calligraphy class. 
Although calligraphy isn't' very common in the states, it's pretty common in Korea. I remember taking calligraphy classes as a child in Korea. I thought the manners in which you approach calligraphy was very similar (sitting up straight, holding the brush so that it is directed down, etc.) in both countries. Due to the difference in language, however, I've noticed the differences in expressing the strokes and accentuating certain areas. 
Overall, it was a very interesting class, and it brought back memories from childhood :) 
The first thing I wrote was my name. This is written in hiragana. 
Note: Hiragana is a Japanese syllabary, one basic component of the Japanese writing system, along with katakana and kanji. 

Next, I tried writing kanji on a fan. This kanji means "love."
Note: Kanji is the adopted Chinese characters that are used in the modern Japanese writing system. In contrast to hiragana, each kanji has different meanings.
The professor of the calligraphy class presented us with a gift, which had our names written in kanji. The one written above is my name in hiragana, and the one written below is my name in kanji. My name in kanji has the meaning of a "beautiful and shining day."

Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment